Welcome to The Spark Journal. My name is Chris Gonzales. I am a writer and amateur photographer living in Oklahoma City with my wife Chelsea and our two-year-old son Brendon.
I started this site under the name Unretrofied in October 2010, relaunching it as The Spark Journal in July 2014.
I write about a number of subjects here, with a general focus on creativity, writing, mindfulness, craftsmanship, and things that delight—with a splash of geekery thrown in for good measure. I like to think of it as a place for creative geeks to stop by, enjoy their morning cup of coffee, and read things that stimulate their minds and inspire them to do their best work.
If you enjoy the things I publish here and would like to support the site, it would mean the world to me if you checked out the membership subscription :)
There are a few ways to keep up with this site:
- If you enjoy newsletters, enter your email address into the form below and every Saturday morning you will receive a collection of that week's articles. Best enjoyed with a cup of coffee and a comfy chair.
When I'm not writing my hobby is taking photos, and as such I have photo-sharing accounts all over the place. Here are the main ones:
- This site is built and hosted on Squarespace 6, using a modified version of the Bedford template.
- The RSS feed is powered by FeedPress.
- I happily manage all my domains through Hover. I will never again register elsewhere.
- Inadvisably late nights of writing are fueled by Tonx Coffee and Beats Music.
I do not currently have an RSS sponsorship system in place, but I am quite open to the idea. If you have something you'd like to advertise to an audience of smart creatives, get in touch!
Affiliate Link Policy
From time to time, I may use affiliate links when linking to certain products on Amazon, iTunes, etc. You have my word that I will do this sparingly, and only for products that I use and love myself. If I've linked to something in this way, you can trust that I think it's worth your time. It costs you nothing extra, and helps me keep the lights on around here.
Get In Touch
If you have a love letter, question, or comment, feel free to email me at email@example.com. If you just need to hit me up real quick, I'm @Gromble on Twitter and @chrisg on App.net. Alternatively, you can use the contact form below.