Welcome to The Spark Journal. My name is Chris Gonzales. I am a writer and amateur photographer based in Oklahoma City but living in an RV full-time with my wife Chelsea and our three-year-old son Brendon.
I started this site under the name Unretrofied in October 2010, relaunching it as The Spark Journal in July 2014.
I write about a number of subjects here, with a general focus on creativity, writing, mindfulness, craftsmanship, and things that delight—with a splash of geekery thrown in for good measure. I like to think of it as a place for creative geeks to stop by, enjoy their morning cup of coffee, and read things that stimulate their minds and inspire them to do their best work.
There are a few ways to keep up with this site:
- Subscribe to the RSS feed.
- Follow @thesparkjournal on Twitter.
- Follow @sparkjournal on App.net. (Keep the dream alive!)
When I'm not writing my hobby is taking photos, and as such I have photo-sharing accounts all over the place. Here are the main ones:
- This site is built and hosted on Squarespace 7, using a heavily modified version of the Bedford template.
- The RSS feed is powered by FeedPress.
- I happily manage all my domains through Hover. I will never again register elsewhere.
- Inadvisably late nights of writing are fueled by Blue Bottle Coffee and Apple Music.
- All my writing is done on an iPad Air 2 (with some light editing on my iPhone 6) using Editorial for iOS.
I do not currently have an RSS sponsorship system in place, but I am quite open to the idea. If you have something you'd like to advertise to an audience of smart creatives, get in touch!
Affiliate Link Policy
I use affiliate links when linking to certain products on Amazon, iTunes, etc. I do this only for products I stand behind. If I've linked to something in this way, you can trust that I think it's worth your time. It costs you nothing extra, and helps me keep the lights on around here.
Get In Touch
If you have a love letter, question, or comment, feel free to email me at email@example.com. If you just need to hit me up real quick, I'm @Gromble on Twitter. Alternatively, you can use the contact form below.